Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some common questions about the Masters of Data Science at the University of Missouri:
What are admission requirements?
Does this program qualify for financial aid?
What are the deadlines for admission?
Early Application Deadline is January 15th.
Can I change interest areas after I’m accepted?
What is the MU Informatics Institute?
How does learning actually work?
- Students are actively engaged as a cohort with instructors.
- Courses integrate JupyterHub with Canvas and GitHub
- All code is by example, so you are never left to figure it out yourself.
- Many interesting data sets, and an open door to bring your own.
How are you going to squeeze 34 credits into two years?
- Courses are staggered in 8 week chunks over the semester, so you are never in more than two courses at a time.
- The courses are designed to work together. So, what you learn in one course is built on in the next.
- Having a cohort based program gives students peer support during the program period, which is demonstrated to lower stress and increase learning.
What kinds of technology does a student need to own?
- The main requirement is a good internet connection.
- Most of the software used in the program is hosted at the University of Missouri.
When does Boot Camp Start
- The Boot Camps begin June 15th. It is essential you apply early so that you are ready to do the boot camps and put yourself in the best position to take on Big Data.
When is the executive session on campus?
The executive session on campus will be held March 17th to 22nd 2019.
Is attendance at the executive session on campus required?
When do we need to arrive?
Where does executive week take place?
Are accommodations and meals provided?
Are students responsible for their own travel expenses?
Will students have free time?
Can my dietary needs be accommodated?
What will an average day be like?
Each day students have a power-packed day of instructions, data labs team activities and presentations.